How It Works

The Process

Hover over each of the steps pictured above to see how easy recycling is with One Big Bin! Just dispose of trash and recyclables into your existing garbage can and it will be collected and transported to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). The MRF assists Placer County jurisdictions with achieving state mandated waste diversion goals by recovering recyclable materials from mixed waste; processing green and wood wastes for composting or biomass; receiving and processing source-separated recyclables; and accepting Household Hazardous wastes, which are not supposed to go into your garbage can, for proper recycling and disposal.

Self Haul

Got waste that won’t fit in your One Big Bin?  Take it to the MRF, Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Schedule a Tour

If you are interested in seeing the Material Recovery Facility up close and personal, call 530.889.6846 to schedule a tour.

Have more questions?

Scroll down to see if you can find answers to them in the Frequently Asked Questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is One Big Bin?

One Big Bin is the name of the recycling program for Placer County and its cities, where all garbage and recyclable materials can go in one can, or “bin”, and are taken to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF, pronounced “murf”).  Recyclable materials are then pulled from the waste stream and diverted from being landfilled, historically achieving an average countywide diversion rate of approximately 70 percent.

Why don't I have a recycle bin?

Recycling can be confusing, so we do it for you at Placer County’s Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility! In Placer County, One Big Bin makes it easy for businesses and residents by using a mixed-waste recycling program. The waste collected in your garbage can goes to the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), where we recover recyclables from the mixed waste stream. MRF is also able to:

  • Process green and wood waste for composting or biomass,
  • Receive and process source-separated recyclables, and
  • Provide for receipt and recycling/proper disposal of Hazardous Wastes.

Do I still need to use blue bags to sort my recycling?

You’re free to keep sorting recyclables and putting them in blue bags, if you prefer, but it’s not necessary because we sort through everything that comes through the Materials Recovery Facility. Transparent bags of any color full of recyclables are still picked up free of charge. However, if the garbage collector can’t see through the bag to determine its content, there will be an extra charge.

What happens to the garbage that isn't recycled?

After the garbage has been sorted at the Materials Recovery Facility, materials that cannot be recycled are taken to a landfill. In the western portion of the County garbage is disposed of at the Western Regional Sanitary Landfill in Roseville, the only active landfill in Placer County. In the eastern portion of the County garbage is taken to Lockwood Landfill in the state of Nevada.

Where are the community recycling bins located?

Northstar Ski Resort | Mixed Recyclables
Located in the Village parking lot
Nearby compactor for resort use only

Palisades Tahoe Ski Resort | Cardboard only
Located at the old fire station (on left, just before ski area entrance)

Who collects my garbage?

Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal provides this service through contracts with Placer County – for the unincorporated area east of Colfax to the Tahoe Basin (Franchise Areas 2 & 3), and with the Town of Truckee – for the areas within the town boundary.

How much does garbage service cost?

Garbage service rates vary based on where you live. Find the 2020-21 rates for Placer County Franchise Areas 2 & 3 here.

Franchise Area 2 (Soda Springs exit west to Colfax, including Serene Lakes)

Franchise Area 3 (Soda Springs exit east to Lake Tahoe, excluding Serene Lakes)

Is One Big Bin good for the environment?

Yes! Everyone recycles with One Big Bin! By allowing recyclables to be included with garbage, in One Big Bin, Placer County:

  • Far exceeds state mandated waste diversion goals,
  • Ensures 100% participation,
  • Provides uniformity in waste diversion and recycling programs, and
  • Minimizes greenhouse gas emissions by having one truck route to collect mixed trash and recyclables,
  • Reduces wear and tear on the roads with fewer routes.

It’s recycling and disposal made easy!

Can I get a green waste can?

Visit our Green Waste Recycling page for green waste disposal options in your area..

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is waste that is illegal to place in your trash can, such as medication, sharps and syringes, paints, poisons, solvents and oils.

Where can I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

HHW can be taken to the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility (during one of their free Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days). Click here to learn more.

How do I properly transport Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

  • Keep products in their original, tightly sealed  containers, if possible
  • Label materials not in their original containers
  • Place leaking containers in tightly-sealed, labeled plastic containers
  • Do not mix materials; sort products by type
  • Pack containers upright in cardboard or plastic containers
  • Secure in the trunk of your car or bed of your truck

How do I get rid of old medications, sharps, and syringes?

These items are unsafe to dispose of in your bin, some are even banned by state law. Take them to the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility on Cabin Creek Road during one of their free Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days (fees apply for businesses, and disposal limits apply to both residents and businesses). Click here to learn more.

Where can I dispose of old batteries?

Household battery collection sites can be found throughout the Tahoe/Truckee area:

  • ERL Transfer Station – 900 Cabin Creek Road, Truckee
  • Truckee Town Hall – 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee
  • Glenshire Clubhouse15726 Glenshire Drive, Truckee
  • Mountain Hardware – 11320 Donner Pass Road, Truckee
  • Swigard’s Hardware – 200 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City
  • Kings Beach Hardware – 200 Secline Street, Kings Beach

Residents may also put household batteries in a sealable plastic bag and place the bag on top of their can on collection day.

What is mandatory commercial recycling and what services are available?

Mandatory commercial recycling is a California state law (AB 341) by which Placer County must provide recycling services to some businesses, and multi-family housing of five or more units. Placer County provides these services through private contractors in order to provide the recycling services required by state law. Learn more about AB 341.

What is mandatory commercial organics recycling and what services are available?

Mandatory commercial organics recycling is a California state law (AB 1826) by which Placer County must provide organics recycling services to some businesses, in phases.  Placer County offers food waste collection service, or businesses can opt to comply by recycling organic waste onsite, self-hauling green and/or wood waste, or donating to food banks.  Learn more about AB 1826.